We are looking for a Technical Director to oversee and lead our Engine and our Gameplay Programming Teams. The ideal candidate is passionate about providing high-level direction, helping to organize time and priorities and is also willing to get their hands dirty with day-to-day development.
You are an accomplished Programmer in the Video Games Industry with multiple shipped products on PC and Consoles with proprietary technology. When it comes to decision-making you carefully balance your past experience with new technical developments and innovations.
Even more important for us are your soft skills. You are a tower of strength in tough times and you are patient with non-programmers and able to explain complex technical relationships in a simple way.
Some of your responsibilities:
- Define the technical vision of our projects, collaborate with a diverse cross-disciplinary team, to ensure that gameplay, core engine, tools, technical art, and platform goals are clearly defined and met.
- Be the primary point of contact for cross-team technology development.
- Directly manage and mentor our whole programming staff, including the developers working on gameplay, core engine, graphics, AI, UI, networking, platform, animation, technical art and audio.
- Support Art and Gameplay features and create sustainable workflows
- Work with production staff and other leads to establish engineering tasks and subsequent schedule requirements across multiple disciplines of programming and technology
- Ensure and establish coding standards and maintain efficient coding practices
- Gather and provide effective and constructive feedback to our technical staff, providing suggestions for improvement when applicable.
- Partner with Design, Art and Project Leads to create new features, systems and tools that meet the project’s needs and ensure the coherence, efficiency, scalability, modularity and compatibility of the technology developed by your teams.
- Evaluate third-party technology and tools. Author documentation, set and communicate best practices and technical constraints of the engine and tools.
- Perform research to acquire the knowledge necessary to complete assigned tasks and maintain the technological evolution of current and future products
- Remain up-to-date on industry trends, including new game genres, new game development technology and techniques.
- Interface with the executives and team leads to ensure that all technology interests and policies are properly represented and maintained throughout the course of development, and that future technology is on track and in development for future products
- Excellent C++ programming and systems design skills
- Skills and experience in C# and/or Qt a surplus
- Knowledge about graphic frameworks
- Adjust to an existing codebase and define standards for further developments
- Advanced experience in core engine development, networking, gameplay, and tool development
- Experience with modern commercial game engines/frameworks
- Knowledge of the technical pipeline and all the processes needed to make a game
- Track record of shipped games as Lead Developer or Lead Programmer
- Exceptional leadership, communication and team management skills
- Proactive, autonomous and self-motivated
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Passion for realtime strategy or roleplaying games is welcomed
- Applicants must be authorized to work in Germany/E.U.
- Fluent in written and spoken English